Our criteria for buying a good slicer
The electric slicer is a small household appliance that is not very present in private homes. However, this device makes it possible to cut thin or larger strips of vegetables , fruit , cheese , cold cuts or bread .
The operation of an electric slicer is simple. You can adjust the thickness of the cut, place the product to be cut on the carriage, connect the power supply of the slicer. Pressing the switch starts the device . Simply hold the piece to be sliced using a pusher . The cut food then falls onto a tray provided . Above all, do not push the food and unplug the appliance before touching the blade.
Our ranking of the best electric slicers was made on the basis of technical criteria , brand quality , consumer feedback and the quality / price ratio of the devices. Find below, our purchase criteria to choose the right electric slicer :
- The power of the device : for better performance of the electric slicer, it is recommended to choose a minimum power of 130W . Below, the blade will tend to jam in tough meats. A power greater than 150W will be suitable for all types of food .
- The thickness of cut : it allows to make more or less important cuts . The devices generally offer a minimum of 0-1mm and up to 28mm for the most complete devices. With this thickness, it will be possible to make slices of bread for example. The meat is rather cut into slices around 5 to 10mm .
- The diameter of the blade : this criterion makes it possible to cut larger foods. A ham requires a blade diameter of at least 20cm . The best electric slicers offer a diameter around 24 to 25cm . Below 15cm , it is best not to choose the product . You will quickly find yourself limited.
- The materials used : for a robust blade that is easy to clean , we recommend choosing stainless steel or stainless steel for its composition. The base of the electric slicer should be metal , stainless steel , steel , or aluminum . It is strongly discouraged to have a plastic base . This material is not suitable for this type of device.
- The presence of an inclined plane : this option generally present on semi-professional and professional models , offers better comfort of use.
We hope that this ranking of the best electric slicers will help you choose the right model. For more information, we advise you to read our buying guide on electric slicers .
The benefits of an electric slicer
The electric slicer is a model suitable for domestic use , for small traders or for food trades . The devices presented above will be more suitable for individuals and for professionals with partial use .
The electric slicer is a device that has many advantages :
- An easy-to-use device : easy to handle, the electric slicer allows you to adjust the thickness of the cut and turn the device on/off . The rest is done manually by positioning the food. However, it remains usable only by adults .
- An easily cleanable device : after using the slicer, cleaning is very simple. Simply unplug the appliance , pass a damp sponge ( non-abrasive ) with a little dishwashing liquid . Rinsing is done with clear water and wiping with a dry cloth .
- A multifunctional model : with an electric slicer, it will be easy to cut several types of food . Although mainly used for charcuterie , you can use it to slice cheese , fruit and vegetables , for example.
- A clean cut : the great advantage of this device is to offer a uniform cut of food. Ideal for cutting food for cold cuts or cheese platters, the electric slicer will make your aperitifs with friends or family a success.
- Quick to use : the electric slicer makes it easy to cut several slices in seconds . You will no longer have to spend a lot of time preparing your different foods.
For any questions and comments about electric slicers , you can post a comment below.[amazon bestseller =”electric slicer” items=”10″]
Why buy an electric slicer?
This is the major advantage of owning an electric vegetable slicer at home. We will no longer need to take out our board and our knife to cut or slice all kinds of vegetables, meats, cheese or bread.
From now on, it is the device that does all the work for us, and what is more, it slices them regularly according to the thickness that we wish to obtain. No more long minutes of bending over a large piece of cheese, trying somehow to make thin slices that are well presented. Thanks to the electric slicer, a few seconds are enough to impress your guests with pretty plates of perfectly sliced cold meats, cheeses and vegetables.
If you’ve always had the habit of buying deli meats or pre-sliced meat, you’ve always spent more money than you had to.
Indeed, the purchase of a large piece of meat or ham is much cheaper compared to slices ready to be passed to the frying pan.
And now that you have decided to invest in an electric meat slicer, not only will you cut your food the way you want, but you will also enjoy a great budget saving.
The different types of electric slicers
Manual or electric slicer
The manual slicer was the first deli slicer on the market. It is a meat cutter system that works using a crank.
Very bulky, heavy and more difficult to use, the manual slicer is more popular with restaurateurs than in private kitchens.
Indeed, it is a utensil which offers much more precision in terms of the thickness of the slices, in particular in the realization of the chiffonnades. The food is also heated less with a manual slicer than an electric slicer which rotates faster. It is also a very old tool which will find its place among collectors of authentic objects.
How much does a good electric slicer cost?
A mini electric slicer can be purchased from 30 euros. Nevertheless, they are plastic models that have nothing to envy to the magnificent versatile and more resistant slicers.
For a quality model that will bring you satisfaction in all your cuts, it is preferable that you plan a budget of at least 150 euros. From this price, you will be able to take advantage of a wide range of products that guarantees reliability over time. And unlike entry-level tools, you’ll easily find electric slicers in aluminum and stainless steel. As for professional electric slicers, it is possible that the price could rise to more than 500 euros.
How to use an electric slicer?
It is essential to read the instructions for use of your appliance carefully before using it for the first time. This is very important to avoid false manipulations in order to avoid the risk of damaging your machine and to preserve your safety. First of all, make sure that the slicer is perfectly installed and that it is stable. It will not need to be moved once it is running. Also, do not place it in a corner that is difficult to access or too narrow for easy handling.
Start by plugging in the tool’s power cord, then place the food you want to carve on the cart. Turn on the machine, set the thickness of the slice to your liking, and run the piece over the blade until you get the desired amount of slices. Remember to turn off the slicer when you are finished using it and unplug it.
Here is a demonstration video on how to use a slicer without getting hurt.
How to maintain your electric slicer?
Cleaning your slice tool should be done after each use to keep it in good condition. Make sure that the model you have chosen is equipped with removable parts to facilitate their maintenance. Dishwasher safe parts are also preferred so you can enjoy a considerable time saving.
Otherwise, clean with a damp sponge soaked in dishwashing liquid. Then rinse the elements one by one with clear water and wipe them carefully with a dry cloth. Cleaning the body of the device is also done with a sponge moistened with soapy water, then with a cloth slightly dampened with water. It will then be dried with a very dry cloth to prevent rust.